Caren Swan is a career paralegal who has worked for over 25 years at both large and small law firms with extensive expertise in document management and use of computer technology for discovery and trial preparation. She is skilled in a variety of litigation technology and imaging software programs. She has created graphic trial presentations for opening and closing statements as well as for witnesses and expert testimony.
Ms. Swan was the Director of the Los Angeles Office of Nextpoint and opened the Los Angeles office of this Chicago-based trial presentation and web-based litigation consulting firm.
- Worked with legal teams in development of attorney presentations for courtroom and trial.
- Coordinated teams and processes during trial preparation and trials.
- Assisted with development of the firm’s proprietary Web-based litigation management program.
- Marketed and presented overview of company capabilities to law firms.
- Responsible for office location, equipment, administration and staff recruiting for Los Angeles office.
Ms. Swan was the Paralegal Manager at McDermott, Will & Emery in Los Angeles where she managed paralegals, case assistants, docket and calendar and coordinated litigation support for the Los Angeles office. She marketed and presented an overview of a company’s capabilities to law firms. She staffed cases and recruited paralegals and case assistants for trial department in addition to coordinating and running monthly meetings. She monitored billing requirements, promoted paralegal capabilities to attorneys and ensured full utilization of all staff resources. She trained attorneys, paralegals and clients on litigation technology software. As Senior paralegal, her duties included:
– assisted attorneys with grand jury investigations, SEC investigations and litigation matters.
– coordinated collection and organization of documents and electronic discovery with clients and
– managed and searched for documents and facts using databases.
– prepared for and attended various criminal and civil trials.
– attended and memorialized witness interviews.
– drafted discovery responses and declarations.
– worked with experts, jury consultants and trial graphics consultants.
– coordinated transfer of partners’ practice from Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton.
Ms. Swan became the lead paralegal on large litigation matters at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton where she was a litigation and white collar crime paralegal. There, she designed and coordinated database and imaging systems for document production and trial preparation. She also prepared case budgets and cost estimates for litigation support.
At Preston Gates Ellis & Rouvelas Meeds in Washington, DC she was an independent paralegal consultant and litigation paralegal supervisor. She established the litigation paralegal program and supervised paralegals and coordinated their assignments. She assisted attorneys in antitrust, trade, environmental, communications, reinsurance and general litigation matters. She created a system for a litigation master calendar.
Ms Swan also was a paralegal at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton, Los Angeles where she was responsible for factual analysis, organization of discovery and supervision of support staff for large complex litigation. She prepared for and attended trials.
Ms. Swan was a paralegal to a partner at the insurance defense firm, Haight, Dickson, Brown & Bonesteel, Santa Monica, California where she supervised file organization and activity of over 200 cases.
Ms. Swan attend Loyola Law School. She received her Paralegal Certificate in Corporations and Real Estate from the University of San Diego, Lawyer’s Assistant Program – ABA approved. She graduated from Arizona State University with a BS in Liberal Arts, Interior Design.
Ms. Swan’s computer experience includes Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook; iManage, Concordance, IPRO, Summation, LiveNote, CaseMap, TrialDirector, Lexis-Nexis and WestLaw.